Saturday, January 9, 2010

the censor vs. the critic

In the introduction I read about our inner Censor, the voice that says you can't do something, that its a waste of time or energy. Basically the voice that tells us we will fail. But that got me thinking about a possibly similar voice - one that might have negative things to say, but things that will help us grow and improve. The Critic. As a representational painter, I have to be able to look at my work and see those things that don't work or detract from the painting. Compositional problems, bad drawing, perspective problems, color disharmony, etc. Sometimes the Critic might be harsh and find nothing redeeming... but isn't that good too? It challenges me to paint better. To be selective about what I put out there - to create quality and not rest on my laurels. I think as artists we are constantly learning and growing because the Critic is there to push us to improve.

-- Robin

2 comments:

Karen Wall Garrison said...

My favorite quote is by the prolific painter, Vincent van Gogh. “If you hear a voice within you saying, ''You are not a painter,'' then by all means paint… and that voice will be silenced.”

Cecelia said...

Good luck with your project. I had to stop doing things like journals and diaries because, once I got started, I couldn't stop! I would write all night long, and, before I knew it, the sun was up and it was time to go to work! Same thing for drawing and painting. I guess I am one of those who should have a second person when I write or do artwork-me to do the work and the other person to hit me in the head and say "Stop!" :)

 
Copyright 2009 The Creative Block. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator