Wednesday, February 3, 2010

chapter 4: recovering sense of integrity

This week I am struggling to get my ideas onto canvas. I have worked through whole paintings only to be disappointed with the results. Then I start over. Its as if I forgot how to put the paint down. And then I start thinking "what is the right way to do this?"
As artists, we all know there isn't a "right way" - I mean beyond the technical specs of the paint and surface, there isn't a single correct way to create a painting. People use anything from a size 1 brush to slinging paint to express themselves. So why am I thinking there is a method that I am missing. I keep looking at other artists I admire and wonder, how did they do that? Where did they start? What was on their palette?
I don't think this is a sense of recovering integrity. Though I am dedicating more time to my artwork and creativity. I am trying to focus and work even though I feel like a beginner.
And why do I feel that way? Is it because of my long break? Or am I on the cusp of something new and improved?
Lets hope for the latter. I want to improve and grow.

-- Robin

1 comment:

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

I've only read these three most recent entries so far but I really relate to what you're discussing (especially the creative ebb and flow stuff, and forgetting your own voice). I hope to (need to, should!) follow along with you and Kate. Thanks for this blog.

 
Copyright 2009 The Creative Block. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator