Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jealousy

Well here we are into summer now.
I've recently had some mental ups and downs. Went through another week or more of creative blocks. Struggled with a couple paintings that I couldn't figure out and had to mull over them for probably a week. I sometimes feel like my brain is ahead of my hand in its ability to express. Its very frustrating. Almost a feeling of impotence I suppose.

Then I've also had some bouts of that evil green-eyed monster -- jealousy! I wonder if Ms. Cameron addresses this? I will be honest. I haven't picked up the book since Chapter 8 or 9. Definitely found things of merit in those chapters as well and meant to blog about them. I have just been lazy I guess. And have too many things going on. Such is the life of a working mother, right?

But back to jealousy. It can certainly undermine you if you let it. I know its not just me too - I suppose everyone has someone that they feel some competition with. And I suspect that we all keep it a dirty little secret. I, for one, don't want anyone to know my private insanity. ;-)

For me, its someone in a similar place in life, but a whole lot more like King Midas. So their success feels like a failure for me. And I know its totally irrational. We don't even paint the same subjects. Anyway - it turned out to work in my favor two weeks ago when I decided I was going to "show them!" and finally got that painting out of my head and on canvas. I suppose jealousy or competition can be a motivation.

I recall an interesting exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum (Fort Worth) quite a few years ago - "Picasso & Matisse - A Gentle Rivalry." It focused on the relationship between the two painters and how they sometimes motivated and alternately competed with one another. Its been so long now that I don't remember much of the relationship but now that I am reminded of it, I think I will explore it some more.

1 comment:

Tammy Hext said...

Hi Robin, I am really enjoying your writing. I admire your painting and you are so generous in sharing your thoughts here- it is nice to know that other artists struggle with the same internal issues that are often passing there way through my thoughts.

 
Copyright 2009 The Creative Block. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator